Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day of Class

Perhaps I should be a little sad that my youngest boy won't have the same first day of school photos that his brother had at his first day of kindergarten and 1st grade, if any, since I didn't take any formal pictures today, but I'm not sad.

We had a busy, but slightly haphazard day in which I spent most of the time online (from 10:30 am to 5:30 pm) and got Kelvin to work quite a bit and Linton not much. We had a hard time to access the school website in the morning and then, later, some of its capabilities were off, but I'm confident that soon things will get smoother, for them and for us.

In keeping with tradition at least a little bit, I decided to prepare the very same lunch that Kelvin took on his "first day of school ever" (scroll down for photos) -- Inari sushi. Linton didn't really like it, but Kelvin and I scarfed it all down! Pictures forthcoming, or I'll never finish this post. :-)

The most important thing is that I have a really good feeling about this school year. I think we'll be able to handle it, in spite of my inherent haphazardness... (sigh). The "virtual school" gives us the structure that we desperately need, but is flexible enough to accommodate the boys' different learning styles.

It will particularly suit Kelvin, the "geeky boy" who loves to be working on the computer. He already did two online tests today (math and reading) and not only did really well, but enjoyed them thoroughly. If he works hard (I'll see to it that we go over the whole 2nd grade book, at least in math), he might even be promoted to 3rd grade in these subjects. They told us at orientation that this was real possibility, if those subjects were too easy for him, and I think they'll be. And this is exactly what I wanted for him and which was denied at our previous school, but I don't want to look back anymore and only forward!

I'll try to post photos and other things tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment